Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Judged by the Cover

The debate about the snob value of books continues in the Guardian with some timely advice delivered by John Sutherland. If you want to impress in Britain:
"Never, never, never be seen with a book which has a "3 for 2" or "£6 off" discount sticker on it."
(On the other hand fellow Malaysians might be impressed with your canny shopping skills.)

The best question to ask when not sure whether to purchase that new book or not:
"Does my sensibility look big in this?"
I think I looked rather fetching in the Bukowski.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get you S.

Personally I think I look super hawt, with an Orhan Pamuk (white castle or the black book, of course - only plebs hang onto My Name is Red or Snow. Word)

I-

Anonymous said...

So did you readski the bukowski ? :) (sorry, that was too good to pass up) :)

bibliobibuli said...

anon - (now I'm getting on familiar terms with you) - thanks for the advice on teh right Orhan Pamuk to be seen with - will bear it in mind

am readskiing the bukowski in little sips and totally enjoying it ...

bibliobibuli said...

Hey i should have answered "I'm just carrying it around with me for effect!"

Anonymous said...

Now you're getting it.

Like, reading is totally, like, last century.

I-

bibliobibuli said...

Why not make that - so last milennium?

Anonymous said...

hmf.. the other anon is I- but is not I. :)

Somehow theat bit about canny shopping reminded me Joy Luck Club.. I remember one of the "aunties" said she bought a sweater because "Cheaper than knit it myself." :)

Incidentally that's a good book too if you like vernacular :)

bibliobibuli said...

i shall group you both as anonymouses or anonymice ... i get sooo confused
Joy Luck Club is very enjoyable ...