Friday, January 28, 2005

Creative Writing Course

Had a meeting yesterday with Renee at MPH. My creative writing course for beginners ("Getting Started, Finding the Flow") will begin in March and will run for 6 weeks on Saturday mornings. (Damn! There goes my step class, but for sure the sacrifice is worth it.) Am so happy that MPH will publicise it in their monthly events flyer.

I am more than a little scared now. Have to actually hope that there will be takers for the course and that the timing and pricing is right. Need also to plan when to launch the course at my other (more upmarket) venue ...

I know what I'm doing as far as the course is concerned, am full of excitement and enthusiasm at the thought of teaching this ... but sadly lack any kind of business brain. Perhaps I should take a business partner, someone to keep me grounded while I provide the drive and the inspiration.

So much want this to succeed. Have all kinds of ideas for other projects shooting out of my head.

Anyway, my course blurb goes as follows:

Have you always wanted to write, but never quite got going, either because you lacked the confidence or weren’t sure of the best way in? This course will get you started – the fun way.

Course aims and description

Whether you want to write fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction or memoir, this course will help you lay the foundations.

In a series of practical exercises you will be introduced to a variety of techniques (including flow-writing, clustering, layering and visualisation) which will enable you to tap into your creativity. The main focus of the course will be on writing from personal experience, and you will learn to express emotions on paper and identify your ‘core themes’. At the same time, you will learn to take positive steps to suppress the voice of your ‘inner critic’ who so often robs you of your confidence.

Most writing will be completed in the class, with further suggestions of activities for you to carry out at home. You will also have the opportunity to share your writing with other participants in a non-threatening environment. Towards the end of the course, we will work towards the completion of longer, more polished pieces of writing.

Cost and Duration of Course

This is a twelve-hour course, taught over six weekly sessions.

It is open to adults (i.e. aged 18 and above) and is aimed at those with little or no previous writing experience. Participants should already have a good grasp of the English language.

Group size is limited to ten participants to ensure the maximum amount of feedback and individual help.

Sharon Bakar

Sharon Bakar is British but considers herself to be a “local foreigner”, having lived and worked in Malaysia for the past twenty years. Her fiction has appeared in Silverfish New Writing 1, Men’s Review and The Edge, and her book reviews and articles on English language issues have appeared in The Star. She is the editor of a collection of short fiction ‘Collateral Damage’ (Silverfishbooks), which appeared in March 2004. An English lecturer and teacher-trainer by profession, she is particularly interested in the teaching of creative writing. She’s also a self-confessed bookaholic and an organizer of the first KL Literary Festival.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon, I got to know about your site through Chet. I'm quite shattered that I can't take your course, it sounds VERY exciting, but I'm in Kuching. Sigh. Anyway, I'd like to add you to my link because your blog looks INTERESTING. I love to read and write, but I live in fear of being a One-Day Writer. So I draw inspiration from the likes of Chet and others, like you. Take care!

bibliobibuli said...

Hi Marita, it's lovely to make contact with you! There will be other courses (I hope!) ... or I may one day open a branch in Kuching! *LOL* When you're in KL do look me up and we can have a writerly chat ... with Chet too.

Chet said...

Hey, Marita, faster come visit KL. Then I got excuse to visit Sharon again.

MA said...

Hi Sharon,

I was at the MPH Writer Circle and saw you there. *too shy to say hi*

Am interested to know more about the Creative Class.

Need to know more about what/where/how much.

MA

bibliobibuli said...

Mak Andeh - have sent you an e-mail and will be in touch with further details.

Blogger User said...

Sharon,
The creative writing course sounds a good start for me. I never really pushed myself :-) I think I should.

Can you e-mail the details please? jza797@yahoo.com

Step class? yeah... me too. I'm a bodypump freak too!

bibliobibuli said...

Thanks Jamie. shall be in touch by e-mail.

Nice to meet another Bodystep junkie ... just have to get my fix a couple of times a week.