Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Etiquette of Blogging

Went surfing around to find it if anyone had written an article about the etiquette of blogging, it being after all a fairly recent means of human interaction. I liked this one best:


Learning The Lessons of Nixon

This seems fair enough, doesn't it? I thought this bit particularly relevant:

Comments and the “Living Room Doctrine.” I consider my blog to be a virtual extension of my living space. As such, any comments that I would find threatening or offensive if said to me in person in my living room will be deleted. It’s fine to disagree with me (I allow that in my living room). Not fine is unbridled hostility, name calling, etc., either towards me or towards other commenters.

Can we live with this, friends?

6 comments:

Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

nah, that's censorship. i wouldn't condone it. unless of course, a comment can be construed as derogatory or defamatory, then by all means, protect yourself and your blog. but then again, this is also a fine line. it's what a particular commentor (is this the right word?) said, and not you.

bibliobibuli said...

Well have deleted nothing so far ... but have been personally hurt ... on my own behalf but more so on my friend's. Honest, fair comment is fine. Debate is great. But I don't want poison in my blog because it makes me feel bad. I'm struggling with depression as it is ... and fortunately winning. But negative thoughts do your soul no good, whether you are the one expressing them or receiving them.

Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

ya, i guess one should do what's best for oneself.

but just remember that they're just one person's opinion after all. i have had "angry" comments made against me, but all is fair so i left the comment there and responded to it in as civil a manner as i could.

no use losing sleep over these things.

keep your head up!

Chet said...

It is censorship, but unlike that done by the authorities, which is usually done under the guise of
"for the good of the people", censorship in blogs sometimes is for protection - of the blog owner, their friends, and sometimes, believe it or not, the person who posted the comments. Because it protects them from making public fools of themselves.

Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

"It's not censorship unless A) the government does it and B) you are prevented from having your say in another medium."

HUH?!?!?!?!?

bibliobibuli said...

Thanks Lisa, and very nice to see you here.

I am also looking for good Malaysian blogs ... read everyone who posts here and a few more beside which I must get round to linking. Thanks for telling me about the RSS reader ... hadn't heard of this before.