Wednesday, February 16, 2005

She Didn't Quite Get It

My mum passed away five years ago. Here are some of the things she said which made me laugh out loud.

__________________________________________________________

“Oooh … so your boyfriend’s a Moslem? ..."

(When she first learned I was going out with Abu)

" ... Does he pray to the Buddha every day?”

___________________________________________________________

“May Allah forgive me.”

(As she served up a pork chop, the first time I brought him home for dinner. He was caught between two terrible and opposing fears - that of offending God, and that of offending mother-in-law.)
___________________________________________________________

“I love Malaysian food ..."

(When she came to visit me in Malaysia, we made sure that we only took her to places where she’d cope with the food - so all the spicy stuff was out - and which were clean. We ended up eating nearly all the time in coffeee shops in the bigger hotels.)

" ... especially the lamb chops.”

___________________________________________________________

“Look, look over here. You’ve got to come over here and see this.”

(At Greenwich Maritime Museum in a room containing the earliest chronometers. We race over to look at what amazing antique scientific instrument has caught her eye ... and find her pointing at a radiator.)

“It’s just like the one I’ve got at home.”

___________________________________________________________

“I’ll have you know my mother was the head cook for the Duchess of Grafton.”

(The month before she died of cancer, when we suggested that she take 'Meals on Wheels': a service for the sick and elderly, with lunches delivered to the door.)

No comments: