Friday, April 22, 2005

Moving in Rhythm

It was my first time ...

Mark sent a text message to see if he could come round for just half an hour, and I was up for it. I knew exactly what he wanted.

My husband graciously cleared out of the way, leaving us alone together. He pretended he was working at the dining table, but really he was listening in.

We took out our instruments, and then the moment we had been breathlessly anticipating - me for years, he for just a few months.

He wanted to be on top, and without a struggle I gave way. Next time, we'll change over, I said.

We practiced just a little to make sure we had the speed right, and then took a deep breath to begin ...

J'en vais perdre la vie by Lully (1639-1687)

The very first time I had played a duet with anyone. (His second - he had cheated on me with his violin playing girlfriend a couple of days before!)

And it was just beautiful! It was a simple melody, but we played it through without error, he the main line, me the harmony.

We were both so moved - shook hands. (But shoulda hugged him - just that he's too beautiful.)

It's the start of a wonderful musical friendship and the start of a consort with a couple of other people interested in joining us.

How was it? I asked the Old Man once Mark was gone.

Very good. But what do you want to do this for?

Because we're going to give a concert. (Whoa that was a big leap of faith after just one little duet!)

What concert? Oh, with the Philharmonic Orchestra in the Dewan Phil. We just need to practise a bit more.

He wasn't sure whether to believe it or not.

4 comments:

Chet said...

Congrats for "coming out" with your instrument.

If it's true about the concert, I'll be in the audience to cheer you on!

bibliobibuli said...

We will be concertifying for sure. We just got a whole pile of music for duets from a shop in the US. And Mark is keen to rope in others, so grab an instrument and join us. (For a group session!)

Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

a "group session"? u mean a full-blown orgy?

wow wow wowee!

bibliobibuli said...

Indeed I do. Please join us. (It would also be quite good if you had a harpischord secreted about your person.)