Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Last Great Makyong Performer

I'm slow, I know, blogging this. It appeared on the Kakiseni website a couple of weeks ago.

Bernice mentioned the passing away of Pak Su Mat the last time we had readings at Seksen's place. But I didn't know anything more about him till I came across her article just now.

It is a tragedy that this country does not accord its traditional performers the recognition that they so deserve. Remember what novelist Edward Carey said about the wayang kulit Tok Dalang Pak Dollah in my interview with him a few weeks ago?:
In many countries, Pak Dollah would be seen as a national treasure and it’s a great shame that he isn’t. ... It’s awful what’s happening to the culture. Traditional performance should be cherished.
These words about Pak Su Mat from Bernice's article really touched me:
... he was also perhaps one of the last great practitioners of the Malay dance-theatre form of Makyong. He died unceremoniously, destitute, with only a few friends and family by his side, the way that most kampung-folk do, with little pomp and circumstance.


I tried to raise funds for this final performance. I approached institutions and banks but was turned down due to the fact that Makyong was deemed “Un-Islamic” and was therefore a form that could not even be considered.

A tragedy, as I said before. Not just for Pak Su Mat, but for all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People like Pak Su Mat are real heroes, true artistes. Not offical or religious disapproval nor disdain; not poverty nor illness could stem their spirit. His death has left us poorer and our country as well. I feel like a pathetic wimp.

Kak Teh said...

sharon, this is so so so sad, but how come I am not surprised? A wealth of experience and knowledge went with home and we will never know. But I am hoping ...there is a malay scholar - and I am sure you know him or of him..Amin Sweeny, now lecturing in California..who lived in Kelantan and is an expert on oral malay traditions...I am sure he has interviewed him.
But am really sad about this attitude...same as the response I get when I was trying to get funds to do the old malay sailors.