Thursday, August 04, 2005

Writing Rhythm

This was one of the mornings when I told myself I shouldn't come here at all. Too much to do. Two angry editors chasing me for stories that are well overdue. One of them reads this blog! All I can do is grin weakly and offer up these immortal words of Douglas Adams:

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

What is it about deadlines that freezes the brain? I can come here without a single idea in my head about what I might write, and a topic pops up as soon as I touch the keys. I can chuck words out onto my blog pages at the speed of thought, and they sounds reasonable coherent when I read them back to myself. (Might be wrong there, but.)

I guess you have to find your own working rhythm. I have discovered that I write much more fluently first thing in the morning even before I'm fully awake. A half-dreaming mind has no problem finding the words it needs. These days I'm at the computer before 7, stealing a start on the day. I wish it wasn't true because I'd much rather wake up gently, drinking tea on the veranda and watching the antics of the wild life and cats and reading a novel. I write very happily too in the afternoon after a nap. Sleep seems to do the unlocking trick for me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont talk to me about deadlines. am going nuts. help helllllppppppppppp

Anonymous said...

Without deadlines, I never do anything. But with deadlines I never meet them on time :P

bibliobibuli said...

I find you guys mighty reassuring!

Kak Teh said...

deadlines? I got one looming on the horizon - 10,000 words by 15th Sept.! and the more i think about it more ideas come to my head for blogging! but yesterday spent a good two hours at the library with good old Wilkinson dictionary ( malay lit bible) and actually managed to do some work.

Anonymous said...

Heh deadlines.. one editor was so despairing of my always missing them that he actually retired :)

Anonymous said...

but hey you know what ? be thankful you've actually got _two_ editors screaming at you :) I wish I had two editors to scream at me.. or maybe more would be better :)

bibliobibuli said...

"...the more i think about it more ideas come to my head for blogging!"

Kak Teh - that's it exactly!

"...one editor was so despairing of my always missing them that he actually retired"

Porty, that's a classic! I may drive my poor editors to that sort of distraction too ...

Anonymous said...

Yup, mornings are one of the best times to blog, though I never blog in the morning. But there were a few times when I awoke from sleep with a feeling to blog down my thoughts at that moment.

I think people are more emotional when they have just waken up.

Anonymous said...

I'm always sleepy when I wake up. I'm never awake until sometime in the after noon anyways.