Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Taman Negara Sojourn

Am about to do a disappearing act again, this time to Taman Negara for three days in the rainforest. Am excited as it is quite a while since I was last there, and much too long since I walked around among trees with a pair of binoculars round my neck. (I don't read books all the time, y'know!) I am most looking forward to the night walks and finding mammals in the tree tops by torchlight. (Am good at it, should you ever want to hire my services.)

Wonder just how much my sister and her family will freak out when they see their first huge spider or centipede ... or heaven forbid a snake ... wonder who will scream loudest when they get their first leech bite and see a pool of blood in their shoe ...

Enjoyed telling them all that there is no fence at all between you and the tigers and the giant reticulated pythons! And how wet and muddy and insect bitten they will get.

But it's all great fun, isn't it? Well, isn't it?

6 comments:

Lydia Teh said...

Do warn them about the blood-suckers, Sharon. Nope, not vampires or mozzies, but LEECHES! Have fun and come back and tell us all about your adventures. Hey, this will make a good piece for Star Weekender : a motley bunch of Mat Sallehs experiencing our jungle life.

Ted Mahsun said...

*attempts best harrison ford impression*
Ugh! Snakes! I HATE Snakes!

Have fun, Sharon!

Unknown said...

Hope you have a wonderful time, Sharon. {shudder} I think I would rather be reading with the tigers, snakes, leeches only on the written page.

Anonymous said...

Uma and I went there a few months ago.As I basked in air-conditioned comfort inside the chalet, debating on whether I should should turn the hot water heater on for a warm bath before heading for a dinner of lamb chops in the nearby restaurant, I thought to myself, "What a wonderful escape from civilization!"
Wear sensible, hardy shoes as steep slopes and sharp rocks abound on the walking trails, only put on the thinnest of clothing as the humidity is off the charts and don't miss the canopy walk it's easily the best here in the Peninsula. And have oodles of fun!Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Have an amazing time in Taman Negara, Sharon. By the way, my emails to you have bounced back - is the phantom at it again, jamming your inbox with spam?

Edmund Yeo said...

Have fun! (though my li'l sis told me it ain't fun at all...)

Once you've returned, please check out this amazing author, Yumiko Kurahashi. The world needs to know about her.