Saturday, November 25, 2006

Malika's Poets at The Food Foundry

The fruits Malika Booker 's workshop yesterday made public last night at The Food Foundry. Malika had got the group writing about "a single moment, narrow and deep". The writers flung down raw words and crafted them into a finished piece, which they then practised to the point of before-the-mic-total-confidence. The result was material from the heart and well delivered: a long way to have come in a couple of hours, especially for those who had never written poetry before.

Anyway, here's some photos snapped.

The writers took the mic in groups of four. Faridah Manaf is in the centre, and that's a bit of Reuben on the right. (Who is the lady in white?)

Rauf Fadzillah in mid flow.

Elza Irdalynna.

Priya ...

... and her notebook. (A study in creativity!)

Where there's poetry there must be Sharanya.

Malika wrapped up the evening with a short performance of some of her work ... the story about her mother giving away the cat before she was born, the story of a silver bracelet ... and a colourful monologue telling the story of a shipboard romance ...

Patricia Low, Reuben (front) and Branavan captured after the performance. Young playwrights and performers for The Oral Stage, and now adding "poet" to their CV's!

There's more to come about Malika soon. I interviewed her yesterday for Starmag and it was a chat that left me much inspired ...

Update:

Lainie has a video of Malika on her blog!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny white camera you have there, Sharon. The colours seem a bit off... I could have sworn Malika's hair was bound in purple cloth...

bibliobibuli said...

you were there? and you didn't say hello? machinist - am i so scarey?

Anonymous said...

of course not! haha

My apologies -- I was the fly on the wall and didn't want to break character :-p

bibliobibuli said...

i am ... sad ... we share a blog, we share friends ... but have never met ... grab bibi and ammar and let's have lunch one day?

Reuben W.J Kang said...

Hey Sharon...
Nice blog... Honestly, when you took our picture the other day, I was like,
"This woman looks familiar"... Didn't know it was you...

Anyways, Elza's sir name isn't Aruljothi... That's Branavan's sir name...
It's Elza Irdalynna...

Anyway, hope to see you around more often... Link me up...;)
Cheers

bibliobibuli said...

oops my mistake reuben - i had it right in my notebook but my stupid head got it wrong

Anonymous said...

It has been a long time since I was last at a poetry event, and it was great to be there. At NBT on Wednesday I was upstairs (was one of the hip people you mentioned, I guess, no, certainly!) and mingled, enjoying the clubby atmosphere. That night I did look for you after the event, but by that time you had already left.

All the excitement was exhausting, and by Friday all I could do was smile when we made eye contact, and you certainly smiled back. So don't be sad... we have met. As for jaw-jaw -- coffee or lunch will be great but if Ammar & Bibi came along I'd feel so small around all of you together!

And hey Reuben, you had my hair standing on ends -- good one!

bibliobibuli said...

forgiven then. at least i've eyeballed you! *LOL* yes i ran off early that night ... hated the thought of driving so far home after midnight ... wish the event had started a bit earlier

never mind - news of another great poetry event coming soon and this time i have to be there for the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

hi. so, at the risk of sounding completely self-absorbed and making it look like I go searching the net for pictures of myself (which I swear, I don't), I would just like to state that the lady in white (from the picture above) is me. Yasmin Martin. I've never been called the lady in white before and I kinda like it. So do continue...god I don't even know why I'm typing this. must be sleepy. good blog, though!

and the workshop was fantastic.