Monday, March 26, 2007

More Six Word Wonders

We were just talking about six word stories the other day, and now the Guardian obligingly gives us a list of them by a whole range of contemporary authors. The ones that delighted me most:
Bob's last message: Bermuda Triangle, Baloney.
Elmore Leonard

Megan's baby: John's surname, Jim's eyes.
Simon Armitage

"The Earth? We ate it yesterday."
Yann Martel
And probably the cleverest, a whole story in five letters and an ampersand:
A&E IOU
Toby Litt
And if you feel inspired to write some of your own, here's a site to submit them to.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marriage murdered. Cause of death: floccinaucinihilipilification.

bibliobibuli said...

brilliant jordan! love it and have a new word for my vocab. now to learn to say it! (do submit it to that website, won't you)

Anonymous said...

It seems they're having trouble with their site, I can't submit anything. But I will, when I get a chance.

I've been thinking of more of those stories. It's bloody addictive! I think I'll just post a bunch of them on my own site.

bibliobibuli said...

and then put a link here, jordan!

Anonymous said...

So many words and sentences have stories attached to them :

One baby shoe floating in a pond.

bibliobibuli said...

i like that one

it's interesting how the reader fills in the gap with a whole lot of associations and it reminds me of the way we should read haiku