Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Celeb Day

A couple of pictures taken today.

This is on the set of Venus at NTV 7 after the interview with Tan Twan Eng, show host Aishah Sinclair (the lady in red), and the other folks behind the show Grace Liew (next to her), and the producer, Wan Sariah Wan Jaafar.

The NTV7 interview turned out to be a lot of fun. Aishah called me "a celebrity blogger" which made me smile and want to say "Aiyoh, no lah". She was so relaxed and warm and made the whole thing go really easily.

Tan Twan Eng joined us on the sofa after the first segment to talk about his book, and other things we touched on were whether really Malaysians aren't readers, about the British Council Library closing and the work BC does in Malaysia, about a FIRSTWoRKS workshop she had a picture of, how I'd enjoyed being the first reader in Malaysia of The Gift of Rain and what I'd thought of the book.

After that I drove to PJ and went searching for The Seapark Brickhouse, which turned out to bein a not-terribly-glam area. But the moment you step inside this beautifully renovated single-storey terraced house you feel as if you have entered another world.

The simplicity and airiness and sense of outside-brought-inside reminded me of Seksan's gallery, and his firm have apparently been involved in the project. I loved the monochrome unclutteredness. Never mind the bed and breakfast it is supposed to be, I would like to live in this house.

I posed around for photos, striking some pretty strange poses - one or two in the bathroom which was my favourite room with frangipani trees (for heaven's sake) growing up through the centre of it and no ceiling but the sky.

You will see the results in the next copy of Quill.

A whole gang of friends was there, Eric, Janet and May Lee from MPH, Daphne, Twan, and Adeline Loh who has a book about her travels in Zambia called Peeing in the Bush coming out.

We ate chicken rice, drank teh-ice, talked books and authors, and laughed a lot. A perfect afternoon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey. . . i saw you on Venus just now. I have to agree that libraries in Malaysia are lacking in content, even Universities are un able to provide enough books for their students, but i believe the younger generations are keen on literature other then mangas and marvels. . . I used to work in Borders and the crowd is always there. . . and i realise that Malaysian authors are just as talented too. Nice blog :)
(You looked liked you were about to be eaten by Aishah hehe) JK

Rox said...

waaah .., nice hair, sharon! wanna see show on youtube!

bibliobibuli said...

(You looked liked you were about to be eaten by Aishah hehe) *sigh* oh dear.

yes, let's hear it for optimism

rox - thanks ... and i'm relieved i can't youtube it. but now i'm confident maybe next time!!

Lydia Teh said...

If only I'd seen your notice about Venus, I would have tuned in. What a pity I missed it, and the photoshoot too! I was too sick to turn up. Look forward to the next issue of Quill.

gnute said...

Woohoo, my hood gets a mention on your famous blog! S.E.A. Park reprezent!

Anonymous said...

"one or two in the bathroom which was my favourite room with frangipani trees (for heaven's sake) growing up through the centre of it and no ceiling but the sky."

Nice but doesn't it get wet when it rains ?

bibliobibuli said...

duh, yes. natural shower!