Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Interactive Lessing

Apologies to Chet, who sent me a link to The Golden Notebook Project some weeks ago, and which I forgot to follow up until reading this enthusiatic entry on Eli James blog.

The project is a remarkable exercise in collaborative reading, centered on Doris Lessing's novel. Seven women, including novelists Naomi Alderman and Helen Oyeyemi are reading the book and conducting a conversation in the margins. The project went live on Monday 10 November 2008 and is about halfway through.

As I told you some time back, I read The Golden Notebook in the '80s (*sigh* decades ago!), but it has remained with me ever since, in a way that most books don't (Harriet Rubin has a very interesting post on the project's blog about this phenomena), but browsing the notes makes me want to pick the book up again.

No comments: