Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Munro Wins International Booker

Canadian short story writer Alice Munro has been awarded the Man Booker International Prize. The prize is awarded every two years to a living author for a body of work that has contributed to an achievement in fiction on the world stage, and is worth $60,000.

The judges said of her work:
Alice Munro is mostly known as a short story writer and yet she brings as much depth, wisdom and precision to every story as most novelists bring to a lifetime of novels. To read Alice Munro is to learn something every time that you never thought of before.
Art and Culture.com says of her work :
Imagine the short story as poetry. And imagine that Alice Munro isn't merely a writer -- she is a literary alchemist, stirring, distilling, testing, and violating the language and conventions of the short story with breathtaking results.
More at The Guardian.

Munro's most recent collection of stories is The View from Castle Rock.

3 comments:

pakmet said...

Dear Sharon,

I've been an avid reader of your blog for a long time now. Just wanted to thank you for all the inspiration and enlightening read. thank you.:-)

p/s: May I put a link to your blog in mine. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Love Munro's writing, but somehow I can never remember a SINGLE story out of all her stories I've read...anyone has the same problem? If you asked me what they were about, I'd be blank...

- Poppadumdum

bibliobibuli said...

pakmet - many thanks for reading me and i'd be delighted if you linked me. going over to read your blog now

ppdd - read "dance of the happy shades" a few years back, remember enjoying it at the time ... but the gaps in my head are bigger than what i've retained of it. (yet compare that to other short story writers i've enjoyed where i could still give you a pretty good synposis of my favourite stories.)

but time to reappraise her. perhaps now i will finally get round to reading "the view from castle rock" which has been sitting on my shelf for ages and is beginning to go spotty