Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Robert Wins a Poppy!

I just got back from Bookfest@Malaysia at KL Convention Centre. I'm sure you are all dying to hear the results of the Star-Popular Book Awards so straight to it! :

The Star Reader's Choice Awards

Fiction Category :
Robert Raymer - Lovers and Strangers Revisited
Preeta Samarasan - Evening is the Whole Day
Tan Twan Eng - The Gift of Rain
Non-Fiction :
Tun Mahathir & Tan Sri Abdullah Ahmad - Dr. Mahathir's Letters to World Leaders
Adibah Amin - Glimpses : Cameos of Malaysian Lives
Kee Thuan Chye : March 8: The Day Malaysia Woke Up
Berita Harian Anugerah Pilihan Pembaca 2009 *

Fiction :
Siti Rosmizah - Andai Itu Takdirny (If It's His/Her Fate)
Aisya Sofea - Selagi Ada Dia - (As Long as He's Here)
Ramlee Awang Murshid - Hijab Sang Pencinta (My Darling's Hijab)
Non-Fiction :
Dr Tengku Asmadi - Teknik Memotivasikan Anak Cara Positive (Positive Ways to Motivate Your Child)
Hadiah Untuk Muslimah (Gifts for Muslim Women)
Langkah Bijak Ushahawan Terbilang Ushawan Terbilang (Wise Steps for Entrepreneurs)

I will put up pictures of the event and add a bit more commentary soon.
(*Translations of titles are my own feeble attempts and I've included them here for overseas readers who will be interested to see what is most popular here - please correct me if I haven't got it right and I'll make changes.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big thank you to all who read and voted for The Gift of Rain. Your support is very much appreciated and valued!

- Tan Twan Eng

Argus Lou said...

Congratulations to Mr Raymer, Ms Samarasan and Mr Tan!
(I'd translate 'Selagi Ada Dia' as 'As Long As He's Here'. I know it's not yours, Sharon.)

bibliobibuli said...

thanks Argus Lou!

Argus Lou said...

You're welcome!
Alternatively, 'For As Long As He's Mine'. :D

*cold feet*

Borneo Expat Writer said...

Thanks Sharon. Glad you could make it to the event! Sorry to Preeta and Tan -- I was fully expecting one of you two to win! When they announced that you guys were 2nd and 3rd, I thought, oh my god, who's going to win this! After that it was all a blur...

Anonymous said...

I have gone through most of the pages of The Gift of Rain (up to Ch. 17.) They contain historical events made that more tangible by the descriptions of fate (life's riddles), inner conflicts, personal tragedies that many are not aware of and these are in danger of being forgotten for good with the passing of the last century. I look forward to reading the last chapters, particularly to the riddle of the Majapahit keris where about...
Congratulations,
awness