I've been tagged by Ellen Whyte as one of the next bloggers along for the Save Yvonne's Sight Meme.
Readers of this blog will know about Yvonne Foong and her continuing fight against neurofibromatosis (NF) which causes tumours to keep growing inside her body. Some of you may have been at Seksan's and heard her moving piece about how it feels to be a young woman and lose the ability to smile. Some of you may also have read the piece in The Star about NF sufferers in Malaysia a few days ago and seen Yvonne featured there. (I have also blogged about her plight before : please read this.)
Yvonne has lost her hearing and now she faces losing her sight too. She is scheduled for an operation between 1 and 4 December 2009. But of course she has to raise the funds by herself. The cost of surgery is USD44,000 or RM154,770, and the cost of staying in hospital for two weeks is USD915 or RM3219.
She has raised about RM10,000 of this and is hoping to raise the rest by republishing her book I'm Not Sick; I'm Just a Bit Unwell in English and Chinese. The books are now available in Malaysian bookshops and from her web site store. She is also selling T-shirts at bazaars and via her web site store. You can read about her surgery and donate to her fund here.
You can also help by sending on this meme. If you do, please follow these meme rules:
1. Create a blog entry titled "Meme: Save Yvonne's Sight"Three things I love to see :
2. List three things you love to see. Add in the picture of Yvonne's book cover. The URL is http://www.yvonnefoong.com/images/banner/my-story.jpg
3. End with the line, "Yvonne Foong is in danger of losing her eyesight thanks to neurofibromatosis (NF). Please find out how you can help her by visiting her blog at http://www.yvonnefoong.com.
4. Tag 5 blog friends. Be sure to copy the rules, OK?
5. If you have a Facebook account, please check out Ellen's new invention, a "feme" pronounced FEEM, a meme designed for Facebook here. And if you want to blog about NF, that would be great too!
1. The faces of my loved ones ...The people I'm tagging are my warm and compassionate blogging friends :
2. Cosy bookshops full of fascinating titles to browse.
3. Rainforest trees
In fact if anyone else out there would like to meme or feme this - please feel free.