Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gifts for Book-lovers and Newbie Writers

Here are some more great Christmas presents for the book lover - this time from The New Yorker*.

I loved the bookcase wallpaper (left - all the ambience, no dusting!) from Spring Designs, and Brian Dettmer's book sculptures. The Book City Jackets are a stylish way of hiding the real title of the book you are reading from the world (so yes, there is a way to read banned books on the LRT!).

The Lovely Rita bookshelves are gorgeous and I want them on my walls.

If it is the newbie-writer in your life that you want to buy a gift for, Margaret Atwood has produced a list of the 10 perfect presents.

One book I have to treat myself to (although it looks as if I'll have to trawl for a second-hand copy) is Mortifications : Writers and their Public Shame compiled by Robin Roberston. Says Atwood :
Everything awful that may happen to you in public has already happened to someone else, almost. Add to the list (I hope not).
(*This link was very kindly forwarded to me by Lydia Chai.)

3 comments:

Chet said...

There's a dessert shop in 1 Utama, near Cold Storage, called Honeymoon that has bookshelf wallpaper.

Ellen Whyte said...

I'm thinking more of closed bookcases to limit dust!

Glass Half Full said...

I love the bookshelf wallpaper idea. And for a more technological gift for the book lover, how about an audiobook short story? You can find them at http://www.spokenink.co.uk/
Loads of wonderful little gems read by fantastic narrators. I'm pretty sure you can buy them for others and send them as gifts.