Monday, December 07, 2009

Malays Moving Forward

I invited Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad to guest blog about his new book and launch tomorrow :
Alhamdulillah, my first book is now out. It is published in English and Malay as Moving Forward: Malays for the 21st Century / Mendepani Zaman: Melayu untuk Abad ke-21. It is published by Marshall Cavendish Malaysia. Having written various essays for many publications, I have long dreamt of writing a book. This effort itself spanned a few years (even before 8 March 2008) but I finalised the draft this year. The discourse on Malays in Malaysia is shifting in the 21st century. I argue about how Malays must move forward to survive and succeed in facing today’s challenges: the emerging new politics, forging a people’s economy, resolving the education question, the position of Islam in a multiracial society and the unravelling of the social fabric. While race will remain important as an identity, Moving Forward challenges the assumption of the racial zero sum-game as, ultimately, the future of the Malays cannot be separated from Malaysians in general. The book is dedicated to my parents. YAB Tan Sri Dato’ Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, the Menteri Besar will launch my book tomorrow. The details are as follows: Date: 8 December 2009 (Tuesday) Time: 3.15 PM Venue: Itudio Studio, 31D-2 Kelana Mall, Jln SS 6/12, 47301, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia (map at http://www.itudiostudio.com/about-us) Contact: Saifullah 0378063660 / saifullah@niknazmi.com Dress code: Smart casual / office attire The book can now be bought at RM24.90 at major bookstores including Kinokuniya KLCC and Popular Bookstores. Distributors can contact the publisher through Michelle Low tel: 03-5628 5928 or michelle@my.marshallcavendish.com.
I plan to go and maybe will see you there?

3 comments:

Amir Muhammad said...

I will be in Jakarta but I do want to catch up with Nazmi sometime. I first met him when he was at school! (Which was admittedly not that long ago.)

nik nazmi said...

I was doing my A-Levels at that time. Whether it's considered school or not is another question.

See you in town.

Kak Teh said...

Met Nik at a restaurant in London last month, I think. Will try to get your book. Congratulations.