Friday, August 12, 2005

Sharpley Road

The council house was spanking new.

My mum was thrilled with the indoor toilet
And plumbed-in bath.
Wanted too a tradesman’s entrance
Round the side.

“Don’t you know my husband’s a professional,” she said
In her special voice that made her sound
Like the queen at Christmas.
To the man who came to sell brushes door-to-door.

My dad swotted for engineering exams
At the kitchen table.

Late summer nights
Light shone still through my bedroom curtains.
I heard kids yelling in the street outside
And envied them.
My parents didn’t like me to play with
The “proles” because
I was not common like them.

A bogey-man lived at number eight.
You had to run fast past his door.
But no-one had ever seen him.

Digging to Australia with a plastic trowel -
Dirt in my finger nails and knots in my hair.
Collected insects in jars.
Earthworms baked in the sun to a crisp
When I forgot them.

Awoke with night terrors -
Big yellow eyes in the ceiling of my room
And the scream frozen in my throat.

There was hell to pay
If I got fingerprints on the furniture,
Mum’s paid-for-on-the-never-never
Georgian repro stuff.

Opened doors for my sister who didn’t
Want to crawl like other babies but
Shuffled on her bum.

My father read me Alice in Wonderland
And The Water Babies
(With Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby and Mrs. Bedonebyasyoudid.)
Told me his stories of Malaya
Repairing bridges, rebuilding roads
R&R in Penang.

Playing Oranges and Lemons
In the road
(Chip chop the last man’s -).
And a ring game
One golden afternoon:
Simple Sally sitting on the sand.
My baby sis in the centre
Wearing a blue sunhat.

Speeding up and down the road on my scooter
Making neenaw police car noises.
Headquarters in a cardboard box.

Dad taught me to the trick of reading
One weekend.
I added the big words he used
To my store.

Hated frilly dresses
The feel of nylon party frocks
My favourite dress was brown and had fringing on the bodice
Like a Red Indian squaw.

We thought our washing had been stolen from the line
One morning.
Walked down to the phone booth with Dad
(Press Button A Button B)
To call the police.
Later found a neighbour
Had taken our clothes in at dawn
Because it looked like rain.

Watch With Mother
(Rag Tag and Bobtail, The Woodentops)
Was never
Watched with my mother
Who had a house to clean.

Riding on the upper deck of the bus to town
Turning over the Victorian pennies,
The Georges and Edwards in my father’s change.
Wondering at the strangeness of the past.

Told mum about next door’s dog
Enjoying bones I’d taken round.
“Licking her chops,” I said
Repeating my neighbour’s words.
Felt the full weight of her flailing fists
As she drove home her point:
“We speak proper English in this house.”

Dad walked me to school,
And at the gate wiped breakfast
From my mouth,
Cleaned sleep-encrusted eyes
With spit on his handkerchief.

One day when I refused to eat
Mum pushed my face down
Into my dinner
And mashed potato filled my nose.

Learned how to freeze time
One day
By as a simple effort of will.
Focused
Eyes shut
“I will always remember this moment.”

And have.


© Sharon Bakar 2005

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo sharon, this takes me back to my days spent reading all those books, running around with friends etc. lovely!

Anonymous said...

I loved this piece. Reading the words now, the magic is still there (for I first heard you read it some time ago.
Childhood memories - they don't come in complete sentences or well-ordered patterns. They are all over the place, snatches of taste, smell; pastimes; recollections that just are - snapshots in time. We fill in the the hurt or pain or sheer fun later, like filling in the blanks. At the moment of happening - they just happen and that's what you have created for us.
I love this poem (Yeah, I'm repeating, I know!). It takes me back to my own childhood - who hasn't had such memories or a bogeyman in their past - and think it will make an excellent prompt for a writing exercise!
Excuse me now - got to go write that exercise!

Anonymous said...

Sounds familliar.. press butta A and button B. :)

Vaguely remember The Water Babies. Still have Alice in Wonderland (and Through the Looking Glass.)

bibliobibuli said...

Thanks for your comments ...
This piece needs a lot more condensing, editing, chopping before I'll be satisfied.

Mistyeiz & Saras - Why not have a go and see what you turn up ... just list memories of yourself at a certain age ...

Porty - showing your age if you can remember those telephones ... but hold on, didn't they still have them here in the '80's?

Pyewacket said...

Beautiful, Sharon. I felt it every step of the way with you, both the things that were the same as my childhood and the things that were different...some terrifying moments in there with your mother...Thank God for your dad....

BTW, what is Oranges & Lemons? I don't know that game.

bibliobibuli said...

Hi Miss Wonderley, Am so happy to see you in the blogosphere at last.

Oranges and lemons is nursery rhyme and kids game in Britian. You can read about it here . Feel so sorry for you having had a childhood deprived of this!

Anonymous said...

Good lord, I'd forgotten about that. And I thought I had good memory.