Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Wee Dram O' The Scots

This morning's quick quiz. What do the following writers have in common?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Jackie Kay

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Janice Galloway

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Alasdair Gray

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Irvine Welsh

If you answered, "Hey, they're all Scottish", you did very well indeed. Ye mun hae a wee oattie cake fer yer brekfast ...

Which is my way of leading up to an advertisement. (Would I make a copywriter?)

If you want to hear some excellent short pieces by these writers, do come along to the Celebrating Scotland readings at MPH 1-Utama this Saturday at 3p.m. and try not to laugh at my accent. (I've been to Edinburgh for a whole weekend!) Jaeson Iskandar should be joining me - he does a pretty mean Glasgow accent ... and he's never even been there at all. (Not fair!)

I've been having fun auditioning lots of stories ... goodness, the Janice Galloway story Someone Had To from her collection of love stories Where You Find It sends shivers down my spine ...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm also really happy to have discovered Jackie Kay. It goes to show that the short story is alive and well north of the border despite dire prognostications about the state of short fiction in Britain.

And on the subject of Celebrating Scotland (cue next ad) - tickets for Macbeth are on sale now. This is one you shouldn't miss.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 comments:

Nazrah Leopolis said...

Heyyy..me momsy wud lovey verreee moch.

I am going up to KL this weekend but sadly, I don't think I can make it in time for the readings. But i have sent word to my people.They will be there. All the best!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's not a quiz. It's a brain teaser. LOL! Oooh and Macbeth. I wonder how will it be like when jumped out from the book. Hmmmm... I hope you'll enjoy your reading!

Anonymous said...

I guessed that they're all 'Mat Salleh' (before I looked at the answer). Does that mean I'm half right?

And I really enjoyed your BM post, especially the part where you wrote “Macam ayam cakap dengan itik”.

Are still backing up your blog? I found this in Blogger Help and I wonder if you've tried it. I can't understand most parts of it. If you've tried it could you share with us how you did it?


Thanks.

Anonymous said...

So why does Macbeth look like Hartih Iskandar ? :)

Anonymous said...

Haha. The only talent Jaeson Iskandar has is letting people down. he must be the most unreliable guy I've ever come across.

Em