Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Lexus and the Olive Tree at La Bodega

This blog seems to be getting updated hourly!

Here's an ad (and I don't even charge!) for my friend Fiona's book club:
Book of the Month: The Lexus and The Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman
Date: October 17th, 2005 (Monday)
Time: 8.30pm
Venue: La Bodega Lounge, Bangsar Baru
My contact: 012 3241217

We're going to be discussing globalization - this book is so superb!
When I first saw it on the shelf I was daunted by the topic but Friedman makes it understandable for the lay-don't-know-much-about-current-affairs person such as me.


Idlan said...

This is off tangent but you were mentioned in yesterday's Guardian's little column, which picks up blogs and what they said abt the booker prize.


I'll cut it out and keep it for you if you want hehe

The Visitor said...

is it a play on the title The Gun And The Olive Branch?

that book is killer! everything you ever wanted to know about the Israel-Palestine conflict.

bibliobibuli said...

idlan - oh please please keep it for me ... can't believe this news ... was dancing round the room!

visitor - can't answer you i'm afriad, knowing neither book. maybe fiona will be along to elucidate

A-A said...

Its a good book. Very informative. Bought it some years ago in the KLCC.

Zafar Anjum said...

I have read this book. Interesing stuff on globalization. I like the anecdotes but Friedman goes and on about his visions on globalization; almost sounds repititive at times. The sequel to this volume is now available: The World is Flat. I am still waiting for the paperback edition.

dz said...

sharon, u pemes :) congratulations!

starlight said...

in the Guardian! you go girl!!!

Fiona1 said...

Hey Sharon! THanks a lot again for the promo - and also a million for your books on Africa and so happy for you about The Guardian and then the Glossies!
Friedman and globalization seemed a daunting topic for some people -a lot asked if it was ok if they didn't read the book and come. And naturally I said "Come anyway!"
Visitor :I wouldn't mind watching it if it were a play - can imagine a local playing gorbie, clinton, bush etc...

Idlan said...

I've kept a copy of the actual newspaper bit; but I'll take a picture of the column and send it to via email.

It even said you were from PJ :D

bibliobibuli said...

Idlan - thanks thanks thanks and thanks again

(did I forget to say thanks?)

I have noticed on my sitemeter that I was getting hits from the Guardian from time to time ...