Saturday, September 09, 2006

Romesh the Wizard!

Don't miss this account on Zafar's blog of Romesh Gunasekera's reading at the Asian Civilizations Museum’s auditorium last month, it's so beautifully written.

I'm always stumped for how to describe writers physical appearance and it seems presumptuous (for me) even to try, but I think Zafar captures Romesh beautifully:
He has a Harry Potter like intelligent bespectacled face, but his unruly mop of salt and pepper makes him look like a monkish boy wizard who has grown a tad older in his troubled fantasyland ...
Well, Romesh does weave magic too!

I loved what Romesh said about belonging :
When I was very very young, reading all sorts of books that I used to come across, I was never where I was reading, I was where I was fantasizing.
All readers will surely identify with that!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for tagging it Sharon!

bibliobibuli said...

thank you for writing such a beautiful piece.