Matahari Books seeks entries for New Malaysian Essays 2!
Yes, we aim to publish maybe 8 people this time. The cover art has been chosen. Each essay, either in English or Malay, should be between 5,000 to 15,000 words.
Among the stuff I wanna see:
- National Service, written from the POV of someone who just went through it
- Contemporary architecture
- Life in a Malaysian jail or drug rehabilitation centre
- Dating rituals (urban or rural, straight or gay, or maybe all together).
- An essay that can be told mainly through pictures
- A biography of someone you think we should all know about
- A comparative thingamajig between Malaysia and a neighbouring country
- An extended, perhaps investigative, rumination on a single local song, film, painting, poem.
... but I am open to suggestions.
Absolute deadline 31 August 2008. But email me much earlier ( matahari.books at gmail.com ) if you are working on something :-)
The book is due in stores in early 2009. The good news is that some stores have already placed advance orders.
Monday, March 03, 2008
More Malaysian Essays
With his first collection of Malaysian essays hot off the press, Amir Muhammad is now looking for material for the second volume :