This is the shortlist (chosen by a very well-qualified panel of judges) :
- Amongst Women by John McGahern
- Arthur & George by Julian Barnes
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
- Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
- Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
- The Master by Colm Toibin
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills
- Waterland by Graham Swift
Some of my very favourite novels are here - Waterland, Atonement, The Restraint of Beasts, but there's also a nudge to read those I haven't yet got round to ... especially The Butcher Boy which I've heard such great things about.
Cloud Atlas is in the lead though ...
Oh and the prize? Says Pack :
I will bake a cake for the winner. ... Assuming they are . . . prepared to accept a cake from me. Lemon drizzle is my speciality but I can be flexible on that. One of them is bound to be allergic to something.(Found via Literary Saloon. Tom Gatti also discusses the award at The Times.)