Here's a list of the 50 Best from The Independent with some excellent reading suggestions, both fiction and non-fiction.
Richard and Judy who host Britain's TV Book Club unveil their reading recommendations for Summer 2008 . What this duo selects usually invariably makes the best seller lists - what Ciar Byrnes refers to in The Independent refers to as :
This Summer's picks are :
- Sadie Jones - The Outcast
- Linwood Barclay - No Time for Goodbye
- Julia Gregson - East of the Sun
- John Hart - Down River
- Margaret Cezair - The Pirate's Daughter
- Rebecca Miller - The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
- Toni Jordan - Addition
- James Bradley - The Resurrectionist
Incidentally, have you noticed how many novels these days seem to have be about somebody's "wife", or somebody's "daughter"? (Never, oddly enough, somebody's "husband" or somebody's "son", as if women are defined by the men in their lives, perish the thought.) I thought of compiling a list, but don't think I have the energy.