Monday, January 31, 2005

Nisbo

My poor little cat is very sick and at the vet's surgery on a drip ... she must have licked some caustic substance from her paws when she went into a careless neighbour's garden and her mouth got burned and then infection set in and her liver is not coping ....

This scrappy little stray, brought home by my boycats as their bit on the side, I tried so hard to give away. But she sat on top of my refridgerator to talk to me and spin her philosphy of life (mostly regarding things she likes to eat) each time I reached for the milk. She grumbled furiously each time I reached into the freezer for ice and her belly got cold and her tail got trapped. And she diligently watched the tree shrews for me as they slipped in through the window each morning to eat my breakfast banana. Slowly she won me over and I couldn't bear to think of sending her away.

(Why am I writing in the past tense? English is so cut and dried tensewise, everything needing to happen within a temporal frame. I like the way Malay leaves time more fluid...)

Just pray she pulls through and can be present tense again.

No comments: