Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Borders to Open Malaysia Bookstores


An article in Forbes magazine about the opening of Borders next month in KL in Berjaya Times Square. Apparently this will be the first of 10 outlets planned for Malaysia. Great news for book junkies. Just wonder where their market share is going to come from as readership is hardly increasing at the same pace as shelf-space. Maybe this is the biggest challenge for all the bookshops - get the public hooked on books. Just giving folks a pleasant space to chill out and browse through books is for sure a step in the right direction. And Borders is bound to have good coffee.

3 comments:

Chet said...

Don't they all sell the same product (books)?

I'll stick with MPH, mainly cuz it's so close to home. These days, I find myself wandering far less and less ... why go halfway around town when there's one in the neighbourhood? Just cuz it's an American bookstore?

Actually, I do most of my book buying online.

bibliobibuli said...

Yup - they sell the same product - jsut some sell more of it under one roof and some sell less. Some have little discounts and some have big discounts. I tend ot get sucked into buying books when I just happen to be in a place that books are sold, and since I happen to go to 1 Utama, BSC and Suria I find myself spending a fortune in MPH, Times and Suria respectively. Location is everything! I also buy from Silverfish in exchange for gossip ... I will go for a browse in Borders but don't think I'll be tempted vry often because I have no reason to go to Times Square and venturing downtown is a hassle. I love buying online because it's instant gratification!

Chet said...

And the excitement of waiting for the books to arrive in the post!