Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Kidnapping Peter Carey

Do you remember the Steven King book (or the film of it) Misery? Well, I have this fantasy that when I finally do get to meet Peter Carey, I will be forced to kidnap him and keep him locked up in a little room (though I wouldn't go as far as smashing up his feet with a sledge-hammer) until he writes a sequel to The True History of the Kelly Gang and brings Ned Kelly back to life.

It was my favourite book of 2001 and the one I tipped for the Booker even before I knew it had made the longlist! (Can I pick 'em or what?) I loved the voice of the character and so totally believed in him that I often forgot that Peter Carey was the one actually pulling the strings.

So a story about Peter Carey which is worth retelling, dated as it is:

One day Kee Thuan Chye walked into Silverfish with a friend. They spent some time looking through the shelves which contain the books by local writers. Chye then introduced his companion to Raman:

"Raman, I'd like you to meet ... Peter Carey."

"You mean THE Peter Carey?" stammered Raman, not quite able to believe it. ("Of all the bookshops in all the towns you had to walk into mine.")

"Well ..." said the writer modestly "A Peter Carey."

Raman was so truly gobsmacked that he even forgot to ask Carey (only the second writer to have won the Booker twice) to autograph the copies of his books on the shelves.

Tamil who was working behind the counter that day didn't hear this exchange, didn't quite latch on to what was happening, and struck up a conversation with the writer as he wrapped up his purchases:

"So where are you from?"

"Australia," said Carey.

"Here on holiday?" said Tamil.

"Well not exactly. I'm doing some research here." (He was researching background for My Life as a Fake.)

"So what do you do?"

"I'm a writer."

"That's nice. ... Have you had anything published?"

Did he wish the ground had swallowed him up or what, when Raman explained who the visitor was to him later?

I'm glad I wasn't there. I probably wouldn't have gone to the extent of kidnapping Mr. Carey, but I probably would have ended up on the floor licking his shoes.

I'm a total groupie for those whose words and music furnish my brain. But I never know what to say to them. I always sound so inane ...

I once had tea with Rostropovitch (another name dropped - kaboom!) and all I could do was grin at him! He must have thought that I was a mental defective. Well ...

10 comments:

Chet said...

Mental defective? LOL ...

It happens to the best of us. It happened to me with Janis Ian. And her music definitely feeds my brain.

Allan Koay 郭少樺 said...

ah, too darn funny! Thuan Chye told me about bringing Carey around town for research on My Life As A Fake. he sure didn't tell me this story.

i've gotten over "star-struckness" over the years becos of the nature of my job. these days, no stars or celebs or anyone famous can faze me! (except for Monica Bellucci; i'd be talking to her breasts! bloody Neanderthal i am.)

Leon Wing said...

Several years back I once passed by Michael Palin in the middle of London during my Xmas shopping. I was so struck I let him walk away without getting his autograph. My friends with me thought nothing of him, as if meeting someone famous in London was so blase.

And, way, way, way back (very very long time ago) I took pics of Rolf Harris in KL for some magazine I was then working for.

priya said...

Am suddenly thinking that my plans to hijack Neil Gaiman in July might not be so grand after all...

At least you know what you'd do to Carey; I'd just sit there and grin in awe =P

Anonymous said...

Hey It wasn't me. It's TAMIL. I'm nowhere near the scene.

Irman.

Anonymous said...

oh just in case it isn't clear, i'd appreciate it if the name is changed. Like immediately.


thx

Irman

Anonymous said...

oh just in case it isn't clear, i'd appreciate it if the name is changed. Like immediately.


thx

Irman

bibliobibuli said...

sorry dear - it took me a while to work out where you'd posted this - it's so far back and the name of the post doesn't show up on blogger

will change the name of course and am sorry if it caused you offense ... thanks for putting me right, anyway

Anonymous said...

I'm the one who should apologize. I have no idea why the story annoys me so much.. .really, it's quite irrational...

Irman

bibliobibuli said...

don't worry, irman ... am sorry anyway, particularly as you are a good friend and i would not want your feelings to be hurt ...

i had the story from Raman but obviously got the name wrong ... serves me right for not double checking - a lesson learnt