Saturday, August 20, 2005

No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Oh goodness, I do go into stroppy English teacher mode when I answer my e-mail.

I squashed an urban legend about a Budweiser frog screensaver and told the sender to send it back down the line. Added my usual lecture about how hoaxes waste time and cause needless anxiety. (And probably lost a friend!)

I forwarded to a spammer (a local guy who has obviously bought a list from someone) all the spam I have carefully collected over the past few months. I have sent his spam on to all the spammers on my list.

And I replied to a semi-literate e-mailer ("interested to be ur fren") that I do not speak SMS.

Life's too short to be nice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon! My name is Yvonne Lee, Janet's sister and I want to say a big THANK YOU to you for helping my sis post my book reading pictures on her blog.

For this, you're still our "Mrs Nice Guy". By the way, I met you several years back when you autographed for me the SFNW 1 (where you contributed one story), in Kinokuniya. I think it was 2001.


Also, I want to tell you that you're doing a wonderful job nurturing the writing scene here for so many aspiring writers through your course and also this blog. I enjoy reading it.


Many thanks and regards,
Yvonne Lee
author of "The Sky is Crazy"

bibliobibuli said...

Hi Yvonne - thanks for your kind comments. Hang onto that SNW1 - it will be worth a fortune one day! Good luck with your book too ... must take a look when I go back to MPH.

Kak Teh said...

sharon, I have been spammed big time too - so I dedicated a syaer to the sammers - in Malay - and none came back! anyway, am interested to know how you dealt with yours.
and I do second the above comment abt the work you have done.

bibliobibuli said...

A syaer should keep spammers at bay, kak teh! You can switch on the verification thingy if you go into Settings and then choose Comments. It's a pain to have everyone do this, but it seems to be keeping the spammers out.

Thanks for your kind words. The main thing I seem to be good at is shooting my mouth off.