Thursday, December 16, 2004

A New Forum (Blogging) Inspires the Old (Books)

If you want your writing to be noticed - write a blog! Interesting article about how bloggers such as Salam Pax commenting on the invasion of Iraq and Belle de Jour writing about the life of a callgirl in London (both blogs I have read and enjoyed greatly) landed publishing deals based on their blogs.

The New York Times > Books > A New Forum (Blogging) Inspires the Old (Books)

I enjoy reading blogs very much - have a whole list of them bookmarked and dip in and out of the soap opera of other people's lives. I especially love the voices that come through - the way that character and personality, gender and personality are revealed through the words people use and sometimes hide behind. It would be an interesting writing exercise (not one I've tried myself yet though) to read a blog for a while and then see if you could construct an imaginary entry keeping the voice consistent.

Where else but the pages of a novel or in a film can you enter the head of someone so very different from yourself and whose life experiences are as far removed from your own as it is possible to get?

2 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hello Sharon,
I'm popping in to say that as usual, I have writtne something in defence of Rans and me. Not to worry, quite mild. In my blog, I have mentioned your name, only in a positive light and just know that you're not who I mean at all, with regards to the tone of the blog. Still, I hope you'll continue to write these lovely blogs as your prose on non-fiction stays sophisticated. But I'm the last person, you need to tell you this. And I also hope that your novel and fiction when you have finished writing and publishing it, will be a resounding success. You must not think otherwise. I wish you all the best in your future writing endeavours.
susan

bibliobibuli said...

Thanks Susan. Will drop by and read. Very happy to see you here and so pleased that you have the generosity of spirit to sort out misunderstandings and build a bridge.