Sunday, September 04, 2005

Readings at MPH

The readings from Scottish writers yesterday at MPH 1 Utama went well. It turned into a solo act because, sadly, Jaeson couldn't make it in the end. And I'm nowhere as good a reader as he is.

It was held in the main part of the bookshop and although it was a little noisy with human traffic passing through, the microphone was good and apparently there were plenty of folks stopped in their tracks to listen. (I say apparently because my eyes couldn't stray too far away from the text to look!) I thoroughly enjoyed reading the extracts I'd chosen - Gray's short-short about a mysterious e-mail message from wife to husband; Galloway's rabid child-abuser; Kay's feisty old woman dying on a hospital bed mourning the loss of her false teeth; Welsh's heroin addicts up before the judge for stealing books from a bookshop. (Don't you just love the irony of that!). Also read out the poem that dear old Porty sent me the other day in the comments at the end of this post with the translation a Scottish friend had written for me.

My voice was packing up by the end though and was glad of the afterwards reviving tea (and gummy bear cakes) at Delicious.

We were kicking around the idea of hiring a space to do the whole thing again before an invited audience. Hope so! Told you there were long-buried thespian tendencies ready to come to the fore!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"thesbian"

Is that a freudian slip? :P

bibliobibuli said...

*LOL* Nope ... just that I cannot spell! Thanks for the correction.

Anonymous said...

shucks! you got let down at the last moment. some friend!

wish i coulda come yesterday. let me know if you repeat the show.

i owe you tea sometime.