3rd chimp a.k.a Ms. Wonderley bequeathed me a wonderful big glassfronted cupboard which was transported across PJ in my gardener's wife's father's brother-in-law's lorry yesterday. And I managed to find room for a huge custom-made bookshelf downstairs too. All this delaying the day when I have to make a Sophie's choice about which books to keep and which to pass along down the line.
And then there's my bookshelf in cyberspace! I threw out the link to Library Thing a few weeks ago hoping you'd find it an interesting novelty and play with it while I was in Manila, and not notice I was away. Then I noticed that CW had got hooked on it and I so enjoyed looking through her library online that I decided to try it out for myself ... and found it completely addictive. I even paid for a life membership.
Some of the great things about Library Thing:
- even if you are on the other side of the world, you can gaze lovingly at your book collection and don't have to dust it!
- your friends know which books you have and which they can ask to borrow (I lend books all the time and just pray they come back!)
- you can see deep inside people's souls by browsing the books they have for mental furniture (a great way to find a mate if you don't have one - whose book collection will best mesh with yours?)
- you can paste up your reviews, make notes, give a star rating ... and read what others thought about the book
- you can put an ever-changing display of books on your blog sidebar
- you can link it in with Amazon Associates and theoretically earn money from click through purchases (does anyone ever earn anything from this?)
- you can sort your books in many different ways - the tag cloud feature is wonderful
- you don't have to spend hours typing in boring book details - the keyword search is really quick and effective