Dear Malaysian Writers,
Perhaps it's time to dust off that novel you have lying in a drawer. Utusan Publications is announcing an English Novel competition with some serious dosh attached to it.
Here's an e-mail I just received (Thanks Nisah!):
These are the rules & regulation for submitting manuscript to Utusan Publications & Distributors Novel Competition
For the first time the organiser has introduced a new category i.e. the English Novel / Novel Remaja Bahasa Inggeris. They are looking for new talents in creative writing particularly novel. The audience / readers for this novel should be teenagers and young adults (13 - early twenties).
1. Manuscript must be attached with a covering letter stating the author's biodata, which includes name, pen-name (if any), address, contact number, 2 pieces of passport size photo and a declaration stating that the manuscript is the original work of the author. Manuscript without the complete details together with the said declaration will not be considered for the competition.
2. The manuscript of the novel must be typed in double spacing, neatly bound. Only the title of the novel should appear on the page cover. The name of the author must not appear on any of the page in the manuscript.
3. Participants are free to write on any theme of interest.
4. Manuscript must not be less than 150 pages on A4 size paper.
5. The organiser has the right to publish the manusripts selected as the winner.
6. Royalty will be paid to the author.
7. The unselected manuscript will not be returned to the author. However, the author may submit the same manuscript to another publication only after the announcement of winners is made.
8. Winners will be announced in Utusan Malaysia / Minnguan Malaysia.
9. Announcement will be made in 2006.
10. Closing date : 1 December 2005
1st : RM6,000
2nd : RM4,000
3rd : RM3,000
Send you manuscript to :
Hadiah Sastera Kumpulan Utusan-Exxon Mobil 2005
Utusan Publications & Distributors Sdn Bhd
No. 1 & 3, Jalan 3/91A
Taman Shamelin Perkasa
Enquiries : Call 03-9285 6577 (Puan Faridah Shamsudin)
p/s : Kindly forward this mail to anyone who might be interested. Thank you.
If you don't have a novel written yet why not enter the Nanowrimo and knock out 50,000 words (or more)fairly painlessly in November?
Wonder if a non-Malaysian like yours truly can enter? I was not allowed to enter the NST short-story competition last time round. A couple of decades of living and working here doesn't count. The right piece of paper does. I don't think that a writing competition in Britain would disqualify anyone on the same grounds?
Meanwhile MPH is doing a great job of encouraging younger writers with its Search for Young Writers competition which it is holding in conjucntion with The National Library. It invites young writers to set a story either in 1942 or 2030, and gives plenty of scope for ambitious imaginations. You can read all about it here and download the entry form.