Saturday, July 23, 2005

Where Do Little Stories Come From, Mummy?

Where do stories come from? Could it be possible that they were there all along and all we had to do was open our eyes and ears to them? In Paula Isabel Allende writes:


"... it is possible that stories are creatures with their own lives and that they exist in the shadows of some mysterious dimesnsion; in that case it will be either a question of opening so they may enter, sink into me, and grow until they are ready to emerge transfored into language."


Short story writer James Salter, interviewed by salon.com says:


Short stories, sometimes you tear them out of the beak of life, so to speak. And sometimes they simply are lying there on the ground to pick up. You may have a certain idea for a story you have to tell, but the story didn't exist before because it wasn't lived by somebody else -- you constructed it yourself. Some stories come completely assembled and ready to go. Otherwise it may be like one of those nightmare Christmas toys where they say "everything is included but the battery and assembly required." You may spend hours and hours feverishly trying to make something of it.

And he talks about one magical occasion when he just sat down to write and a complete short story simply poured out onto his page:

There is one such story in this present book that was written in the morning. And that is "Bangkok." I had a start. I had two lines that someone had told me over the telephone -- "Weren't you going to call me back?" "Of course not." I began with those two lines and just knew the rest of it. I knew the people. I was able to write the story.

You don't have to "think up" anything. The stories are there waiting for you.

And if you feel inspired to write this weekend, why not pick up those two lines of Salter's and run with them?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Thanks for the quotes. I have also written stories based on the first two sentences. And they have worked well. A few new lines are buzzing around in my head...it's an uneasy feeling. One day it will take my in its complete grip and then I will have to sit down and write it, nolens volens.

Anonymous said...

Why not. Instead of watching tv, might as well write something. Hmm I had idea about a couple on a train..

Sorry to barge in like this, I've been reading your blog for sometime, but never said hi. So.. hi :)

Adam C said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adam C said...

For me, all my stories come from my past, my childhood, as if I always have something I want to bring back. I also have fetishes for certain objects like vending machines and bubbles and pancakes and orange lamp posts and characters who remain silent for no reason. I've had experiences where if I meditate hard enough on one of these objects, I'd come up with a story. Whether the story makes any sense is another story.

chong y l said...

Yes, I have written on Inspiration on receiving a short SMS, or a longer Email, thanks to "caring" fRiends.

You get positive vibes from certain company. Just appreciate these reats sharing their nuggets of stories; I benefit from such reinforcements/reminders.
Thanks.

priya said...

I have written these words on my fresh new notebook - a spanking freash start to the week =)

(Btw, yes, it IS me, exploding jelly, heh)

bibliobibuli said...

Hi Zafar - Starting from a first line is one of the best ways to catch a new story, I've found. when isabel allended sat down to writer The House of the Spirits she only had the first line of her novel: "His name was Barabas and he came from the sea." (Quoted from memory ...). She had no idea who Barabas was even.

bawangmerah - far from barging in, your very welcome so pull up a chair. Hope you write your story ...

adam c - "I also have fetishes for certain objects like vending machines and bubbles and pancakes and orange lamp posts and characters who remain silent for no reason." Wah! Am intrigued and would love tos ee how these strange objects find their way into stories.

desiderata - yes, inspiration for stories can be found in the oddest of places. One of my stories came from a couple of comments made on a tape recording one of my students made for a language awareness lesson. She recorded a comnversation in a pub to analyse for features of Malaysian English ... and there was this incredibly chauvinsistic uncaring guy talking about how he'd just dumped his girlfriend. I just had to fill in the gaps!

priya - glad it's you! ;-D