Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Reasons to be Cheerful: Part One

Am feeling pretty chirpy today. I'm gradually getting my head together after getting back. Taking a little time out just to catch up with jobs I should have finished and then it's time to get organised and start planning this year's calendar for my "portfolio career" .

My EPF money arrived today. (The Employees Provident fund for those of you from across the world - a form of compulsory savings which you can take out once you start to crumble!) Now I can buy a new notebook computer and a digital camera and a new writing desk for my "office" and put the rest sensibly in the bank.

But not before I've bought a few books. I picked up some in MPH and a few more today in Kinokuniya. Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way; Clare Morrall's Astonishing Splashes of Colour as well as her new one Natural Flights of the Human Mind; Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys ('cos you guys talked me into it); J.G. Ballard's Crash (a should-have-read from long ago) and A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, Yiyun Li's award winning short story collection. Some time intensive reading needed now! (Especially as I have so many books on my 'to-be-read shelf' sulking away even as we speak.)

Today, had a meeting with British Council friends and we're cooking up some exciting happenings for the months ahead, especially for library members. The new books are arriving steadily now and finding their way onto the shelves. I'll be ordering some more in a few weeks, including some poetry because we don't seem to have a lot of that. If you have any requests, do let me know. (Remember the authors should preferably be British or have a strong British connection.)

No comments: